Sunday 20 February 2011

Intro

Because of the nature of my job, and the fact that I'm a bit of a news junkie, I'm usually reading a newspaper or online article, watching a 24 hour news channel, and receiving Twitter updates from journalists and news organisations for a good 12 hours out of any day, usually simultaneously. Being inundated with coverage has its downsides - stories seem to get very old, very quickly, and I'm becoming highly critical of the way TV reporters do their jobs - but it also means that I'm able to compare coverage almost without thinking about it. It just happens. Why has one organisation covered the story this way, how did this source come up, why is this being ignored, what's going on behind the scenes here?

This blog will, I think, mostly be just thoughts, observations, questions I have on the way modern media works. I don't know yet how comprehensive or varied it'll be, or how often I'll post. To be honest, right now this is mostly just an outlet for me, a way of communicating some thoughts that I can't otherwise without annoying the rest of the office with some stream of consciousness questions and comments. We'll see where it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment